Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thoughts about Writing

I love writing. I've done it for as long as I can remember. Short stories, poems, books it's all came out from one time to the other. Not had much success at it you understand other than a few published poems, but I love it. For a long time, it was what defined me because I could write and become the characters and live through them, when life here was well, lets just say, much less than perfect.

But the last little bit, my partner in crime when it came to writing has kind of moved on to other things and we don't talk as much. I miss that connection more than I can say, but slowly have come to accept it. Still, that took some of the fun out of writing. We'd start something and then life would get busy and it never went anywhere or because we weren't as close anymore our wavelengths were just completely different. That happens when you write in a partnership.

Still writing on my own has been pretty non existent. Not by choice really, though I guess some of it is that once life got under control here and became good again the need to escape wasn't there. I have this method to my writing though. When I feel I am supposed to write, the characters talk to me. Seriously, they carry out full blown scary conversations in my head. It's like a movie that plays and then pauses and picks up again when it wants. That's when the writing is probably at it's best. (Not that I'm saying I have a great best, but still a best it is LOL)

The last time characters really talked to me? Was ages ago. It was a character that was probably a cross between the Godfather and J.R. Ewing and he was as icky and dark as that entails lol. So last night for the first time in ages, characters began talking to me again. I'm going to see how it goes. I'm very nervous about it to be honest. I'm flying mostly solo and I haven't written anything with a purpose in so long that I figure it's going to crash and burn. But I'm going to do it. Why? Because I miss the voices in my head. I miss the way they take on life and I miss the laughing that comes along with the pure joy of doing something I love.

So wish me luck. Me and Cassie (the female character in question, who started off as a Melanie for some reason) Is gonna need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment